Some government workers will have their salaries for this month withheld for failing to register under government’s biometric payroll system.
A statement from the Ministry of Finance explains this is because the July salaries were paid based on information captured by the system as at July 18.
Government workers to be affected by the directive include those in six regions namely Greater Accra, Ashanti, Eastern, Volta, Western and Central regions where the biometric registration has been conducted.
The statement is also urging government workers in the remaining 4 regions where the exercise is currently ongoing to register as only those who do so will be paid in August.
Below is the full statement
PAYMENT OF JULY 2012 SALARIES TO PUBLIC SERVANTS ON CONTROLLER & ACCOUNTANT GENERAL’S MECHANISED PAYROLL
1. Following a policy decision in 2010 to obtain the biometric information of all public servants as part of process of improving payroll management in Ghana, The Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning in collaboration with the Controller & Accountant General’s Department (CAGD) in April 2012 started gathering biometric information on active workers in the Greater Accra, Ashanti, Eastern, Volta, Western and Central Regions.
2. The payroll biometric information captured on public servants, among others, is to be used as the basis for payment of salaries and pensions.
3. The payroll biometric information gathered on public servants on the CAGD’s mechanised payroll as at July 18, 2012 in the above named six regions was used for the payment of salaries for July 2012 public servants on the mechanised payroll from the six regions.
4. The implication of this is that, only public servants in the six regions whose biometric information have been duly recorded as at July 18, 2012 have been paid salaries for the month of July 2012.
5. We, however, wish to assure genuine public servants who may not have taken part in the biometric registration exercise, and therefore, have not received their salaries for July, that payment will be duly made to them. Such public servants are, therefore, encouraged to quickly go to the nearest Regional Office of the Controller & Accountant General’s Department or to the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning, Annex (FIC Building), Accra where they will be immediately registered and their payment quickly processed.
6. After registration, the Public Servant should submit the registration form that will be given to him/her by the registration officer to the Regional Director of the Controller & Accountant General’s Department or the Director in charge of Salaries at the Treasury Headquarters for immediate processing and issuing of cheque based on the June, 2012 net salary of the employee.
7. Biometric Registration for public servants in the rest of the four regions, i.e. Brong Ahafo, Northern, Upper East and Upper West Regions is currently ongoing. The information captured will be used for payment of salaries for the month of August. Public Servants in these four Regions are being encouraged to present themselves for registration at venues as advertised in the national Dailies.
For additional information please contact the following:
OFFICERS OF THE CONTROLLER & ACCOUNTANT GENERAL’S DEPT
Treasury Headquarters Francis Nunoo 0302-662719
Greater Accra Region Daniel Azubilla 0244579594
Ashanti Region Emmanuel Bani 0322026537
REGIONAL CENTRES CONTACT OF BIOMETRIC STAFF CONTACT NUMBER
GREATER ACCRA CECILIA PERCY BROWN 0277181960
ASHANTI REGION FELIX YAW SCOTT 0208338244
WESTERN REGION EFFEY MUNKO 0276294635
EASTERN REGION KOFI AGYEN AFRIFAH 0262680768
CENTRAL REGION TANKO ALHASSAN 0264408808
BRONG AHAFO REGION MILLICENT KABSON 0206590404
VOLTA REGION JOSEPH ANTWI BOASIAKO 0242039984
NATIONAL AND REGIONAL OFFICERS OF THE BIOMETRIC REGISTRATION TEAM
CHIEF DIRECTOR- MIN. OF FINANCE & ECONOMIC PLANNING