Here’s a check list for your hair and skin that you just can’t give a miss. Bushra S Khan reports
After your daily dose of prime-time viewing, you brush your teeth, pop your vitamins and hit the sack? No you don’t. Is your hair and skin ready for bed just yet? You have to prep your skin and hair before you hit snooze. We ask Cosmetic Dermatologist Dr Rekha Seth and hairstylist Perry Patel to suggest a bedtime beauty ritual.
1. First of all do not sleep with dirty hair. You’ll be clogging your pores if you do. Wash your hair if it is dirty. This way you’ll also be saving time in the morning.
2. Secondly, don’t sleep with wet hair. Your hair should be almost dry when you sleep unless you want to wake up with your hair sticking out in weird angles.
3. Comb out all the product you have used in the day.
4. Make sure to sleep with tangle-free hair.
5. Vitamin E is food for the hair (and also the skin). Cut a vitamin E capsule and apply it to your problem areas. Falling hair, dry scalp, thinning hair, frayed ends — it works wonders on them all.
6. Tie your hair in a high pony so that the scalp is able to breath. Avoid tying it too tight as hair on the crown starts thinning first. Tying hair loosely is necessary, especially if you have long hair; your hair might get tugged while you are asleep.
7. Pull you hair up right to the hairline at the front (close to your forehead). Comb softly and tie it up in a top knot. It’s like working against the natural direction of the hair. When you open your hair in the morning, it will look full bodied, as if you have blow-dried it.
Darkening and fine lines appear around the eyes before anywhere else. Use a slightly stronger anti-aging cream around the under-eye area.
Hands and feet
Since there are no oil glands on your hands and feet, they tend to get drier and hence age faster. In the quest of maintaining their facial looks, people often neglect their hands and feet. Use more creamy products for your hands (upto the forearms), preferably something with alpha-hydroxy acids. The same stands true for your feet.